Do you find yourself always craving something sweet and sugary? I know I certainly do, especially when Iím trying to restrain myself from junk food. For me personally, I find these cravings are what lets me down when trying to diet. Snacking always starts with me just having a small treat, but soon enough that turns into another treat and then another, until over the course of the day I have completely ruined my healthy eating. When it comes to cravings, the human body usually craves sugar or salt, which is why we opt for unhealthy snacks as they are usually jammed packed with both substances.
However, not all snack foods are bad as some products contain natural sugars and salt. Here are a few tips on what healthy foods you can replace your unhealthy snacks with.
- Instead of chips try eating air-popped pop corn or rice cakes
- Try swapping lollies of fruity snacks for an actual piece of fruit
- Chick peas and nut are also a great salty snack
- Replace sugary drinks such as soft drink and milkshakes with a healthy smoothie
- If you love baked goods then try using molasses instead of sugar
- Greek yoghurt and berries is a good alternative to sweet yoghurts and custards
- If youíre in need of chocolate opt for a small portion of dark chocolate
- I have also found a small amount of mini wheat pretzels helps to cure salt cravings
So next time when you think you just canít live without having a few sugary and salty snacks, remember - there are healthier options that will fix your craving. I can guarantee you will feel much better if you eat something healthy and nutritious over a heavily processed snack.