As a young lady I am of course obsessed with getting my body to a point where I can love it. That includes going to the gym a lot and trying to eat in a healthy manner. But you have to have a little fun too. Sometimes hobbies can get in the way of all the work you do in the gym.
The number one hobby of mine that is horrible for weight loss is baking. With baking comes eating, and of course you could just give the goods to someone else, but you have to taste test along the way and make sure you haven't accidentally slipped a bit of rat poison in there, or just salt instead of sugar. Not to mention that whatever you're cooking just always smells so good and it feels like it's begging to be devoured by you. Cookies, cupcakes, brownies: I love them. Especially fresh out of the oven. But I think this is one hobby that needs to be put aside or at least minimised until I can reach my goal weight.
Another hobby that isn't exactly conducive to weight loss is reading. Who doesn't love curling up on the couch with a good book? But where do you burn calories in that? Turning pages doesn't exactly get your blood pumping, even if it's something raunchy like 50 shades. Itís fun to escape to another world, but planting your butt on a seat while you read doesnít keep it trim and taut.
Now that I mention it, writing articles for Darling She, though very fun, doesnít burn many calories either. Unless you get up and pace each and every time you are stuck on what to write next. I donít think Iíll be giving it up anytime soon though, and Iím not suggesting anyone else should either.
But enough about hobbies that are bad for weight loss. To combat the negative effects of baked goods and sitting around reading, you could try:
- Dancing. Any kind of dancing really is fine. Itís fun, it makes you feel sexy, and it gets your heart rate up.
- Landscape Photography. This one is a great opportunity to climb a hill or even a mountain to get a great shot.
- Kickboxing. Itís great to get your anger out, you learn how to kick someoneís butt if they try to mess with you and most of all, it burns calories.
- Any kind of team sport such as netball, volleyball, hockey, etc. You get to be a bit competitive and it feels great to win. You make new friends. Maybe meet the love of your life. And we all know sport gets you sweaty. No downside!
- Performing. Audition for a play or musical. It will get you moving around and feeling like a star. And if you donít make the cut, thereís always your lounge room and a hairbrush.
I guess you just need to find the right fit for you and try not to miss chocolate chip cookies too much. But hey, why not indulge every now and then.